Monday 6 April 2015

05 April - Alwa to Jaipur

Day's run: 130 km
Total: 2,465 km
Start:  07:11 am
Saddle Time:   07:32
Total Climb:    506 m
Total Descent: 338 m
Average: 17.2 kph






Heading south west out of Alwa I enter the Sariska Tiger Reserve. Whether there are actually  any tigers left has been recently called into question as no-one has seen one since 2004. Nevertheless, the scenery is pleasant, a bit like Cheddar Gorge with monkeys and peacocks.  That's the start of the Aravalli Range which running north/south divides Rajasthan into the greener east and the more desert-like west.

There are lots of small marble carving enterprises here. I have a small piece of this marble in the bottom of one of my panniers.

All cut by hand. On the way out of Delhi I saw loads of cut corn lying soaking wet in flooded fields. Apparently, the unseasonal wet weather has damaged a lot of this years crop and there has been a blip in the number of farmers committing suicide, many of whom have taken on huge loans.

I had to photograph this - I stop for a chai at a crossroads tea stall. The water used to make the tea was fished out of the yellow container - originally containing JCB transmission oil!

s
Shouting and tooting for the last half dozen passengers to climb aboard the jeep taxi

I've been feeling rough today after waking up in the night with a sore throat and a headache............so very pleased to see the entrance to Jaipur after 125 km. Day off tomorrow! Just got to find my hostel in what is a surprisingly big city.

No comments:

Post a Comment